The recent fire we had in Betty’s Bay is one of the most severe wild veld fires that this area has had in a long time. Lives, homes, cars, animals and many irreplaceable valuable items were lost to the ones who were left devastated by this ravenous fire that left no stone unturned. This fire caused so much damage that it will take the whole community to rebuild this picturesque little town.
Wildfires are so unpredictable and therefore we want to encourage all our ASK Security clients to take some precautionary measures to try and minimise the threat of your property being damaged should this area experience a fire like the one we had just recently.
Some Safety Tips:
- Reduce fuels ahead of the fire season by trimming back your shrubs, bushes and regularly cutting your grass around your property.
- Reduce fuel for at least 20 metres around buildings.
- Beware of ‘fingers’ of vegetation that penetrate your property.
- Make sure that your garden hose is easily accessible and that there are no obstructions in your way should you need to vacate the premises by another route.
Some Useful Numbers:
- Overstrand Municipal Fire Department: 028 271 8449
- Overstrand Municipality Control Room: 028 312 8111
- SAPS: 028 271 8202
- Ambulance Services: 084 124
- ASK Security Control Room: 028 271 3116 Option 1
This is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied on as professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your specialist for specific and detailed advice. (E&OE)